Some sliding block puzzles listed by Edward Hordern
This page lists all the sliding block puzzles listed in Sliding Piece Puzzles
by L.E.Hordern (OUP, 1986) which use
It does not give their solutions. Those are given in Hordern's book.
- a 4×5 containing "box"
- one 2×2 block
- no more than six 2×1 blocks
- no more than six 1×1 blocks
For each puzzle, this page gives
- The "name" of the puzzle, i.e. its identifier as in Hordern's book.
This is a link to a working SVG version of the puzzle.
- Hordern's difficulty rating, indicated by a number of asterisks:
- *: easy; warm-up exercise;
- **: standard;
- ***: tricky;
- ****: difficult;
- (*****: exceptionally difficult)
- (******: the ultimate challenge.)
- the number of moves needed to solve it, counting any move of a single block as one move. This is the number automatically counted in the SVG versions of the puzzles.
- the number of moves needed to solve it, counting any move in a straight line of a single block as one move
- the initial state of the puzzle
- the completed state of the puzzle — all the blocks shown must be as shown, the others may be anywhere
Also listed here are:
- puzzle C17, which uses two 2×2 blocks; the objective is to interchange these two blocks
- puzzle C22, which uses eight 1×1 blocks
This site has more information on these, and other, SVG sliding block puzzles.
This page is hosted at weddslist.com.